No Syria settlement prospects yet: Russian minister
Rome: No prospects can be seen yet of a settlement to the Syrian crisis, a Russian minister has said.
"Unfortunately, no prospects are seen and one of the reasons is our western partners do not properly work with the (Syrian) opposition," Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said in Rome, where he is on a visit.
"The task is to achieve political settlement of the Syrian crisis, to persuade both sides to sit down to the negotiating table and start searching for ways to solve the problems their country is facing, and ultimately start determining its future," Gatilov said.
Russia has faced strong international criticism over its refusal to back UN sanctions against Syria, its last ally in the Arab world, over what it called the pro-rebel bias of some resolutions proposed by western nations.
Moscow denies it is backing Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and says it is concerned the president`s enforced departure would only worsen the conflict.
At least 60,000 people have been killed in the conflict since March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video