No US-Taliban talks scheduled: State Department
Washington: The United States has not scheduled talks with the Taliban, the State Department said today, after reports that discussions with the Afghan insurgent group could begin this week in Qatar.
"Reports of a meeting being scheduled or on the books aren`t accurate," spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters, saying Washington had "never confirmed" the date and place of any specific meeting.
"We are now in consultations with the Afghan leadership and the High Peace Council on how to move forward."
Several reports had said US-Taliban talks would be held tomorrow in the Qatari capital of Doha, where the Islamist militant group driven from power in Kabul in 2001 had opened a political office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP