No US-Taliban talks scheduled: State Department
Washington: The United States has not scheduled talks with the Taliban, the State Department said today, after reports that discussions with the Afghan insurgent group could begin this week in Qatar.
"Reports of a meeting being scheduled or on the books aren`t accurate," spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters, saying Washington had "never confirmed" the date and place of any specific meeting.
"We are now in consultations with the Afghan leadership and the High Peace Council on how to move forward."
Several reports had said US-Taliban talks would be held tomorrow in the Qatari capital of Doha, where the Islamist militant group driven from power in Kabul in 2001 had opened a political office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Euro 2016: Poland beat Switzerland in a nail-biting penalty shoot out
- Boxing as good as dead in India, rues Mary Kom
- David Cameron calls on LGBT community to live 'freely'
- Wimbledon: Andy Murray and admirer of `incredibly consistent` Novak Djokovic
- Defence Ministry nod to buy 145 ultra light howitzers from US