No warplanes for Syria: Russian arms sales boss
Moscow: Russia`s state-run arms dealer Rosoboronexport is supplying air-defence missile systems and maintenance equipment to Syria but not combat aircraft, the company`s director has said.
Anatoly Isaikin said Russia and Syria previously signed a contract for delivery to Damascus of Yak-130 Mitten jet trainers, but it has been suspended.
The company still has some other outstanding contracts with Syria, Isaikin said, but did not provide details, citing commercial confidentiality.
Syria was the 13th or 14th largest buyer of Russian arms, he said without elaborating.
Russia and the US were involved in a diplomatic war of words last year over Moscow`s arms sales to Syria, after Washington accused Russia of supplying attack helicopters to the Assad regime.
Moscow denied those accusations, claiming it was merely returning equipment overhauled as part of long-standing contracts with Syria.
In July 2012, US lawmakers passed a bill breaking off contracts between the Pentagon and Rosoboronexport, which they claimed was "arming the oppressive Syrian regime", the House of Representatives said.
According to US lawmakers, Rosoboronexport supplied nearly $1 billion worth of arms to Syria in 2011, including high-explosives, mortars, sniper rifles, ammunition and attack helicopters which could have been used by Assad`s forces to kill civilians.
Isaikin said a $4.5 billion arms contract Russia signed with Iraq in 2012 remains intact but has "yet to go into force".
Cooperation with Iran continues and Russia has resumed dealings with Libya, Isaikin said, adding it has not lost a single contract with Egypt.
He also claimed a Russia-US follow-on contract for the delivery of 12 Mi-171 helicopters to Afghanistan will be carried out, despite the US Congress` recommendations against cooperation with Rosoboronexport.
The US Senate passed an amendment in December, barring the use of American budget funds to purchase goods - including helicopters for Afghanistan - from Rosoboronexport.
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov warned at the time that the measure might affect the Afghan helicopter deal.
Rosoboronexport was subject to US sanctions from 2006 to 2010 for allegedly providing nations including Iran and Syria with equipment that could be used to develop weapons of mass destruction.
Russia signed a total of 1,309 arms contracts with 65 countries worth $17.6 billion in 2012, 150 percent more than in 2011 in terms of monetary value, Isaikin said.
Russia`s Federal Military-Technical Cooperation Service said in January that Moscow sold $15.16 billion worth of arms in 2012, while expanding its foreign clients list.
India is the leading purchaser of Russian arms, with Myanmar, Vietnam, Venezuela and Middle East countries also among the Russian defence industry`s main clients.
The expanded list of clients in 2012 include Afghanistan, Ghana, Oman, and Tanzania.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues