Nobel committee invites Suu Kyi to Oslo
Oslo: Norway`s Nobel committee on Saturday invited Aung San Suu Kyi to Oslo to make a belated acceptance speech for the peace prize she won 19 years ago but did not pick up.
The Myanmar opposition icon was honoured in 1991 for her non-violent struggle for democracy and human rights, but was unable to travel to Scandinavia because she was under house arrest.
She also feared she would not be allowed to return to Myanmar, and asked her husband, who has since died, to accept the prize on her behalf.
The head of the Nobel committee, Thorbjrn Jagland, said he would seek a guarantee from the government in Yangon that Suu Kyi would be allowed back if she visited Oslo.
"I don`t believe she would leave the country without first obtaining such a guarantee,” Jagland told the Norwegian news agency NTB.
Her release on Saturday after a decade-and-a-half of house arrest was good news for political prisoners all over the world, he said.
This year`s peace prize was warded to Liu Xiaobo, who is serving an 11-year prison term in his native China for his commitment to democracy.
The Norwegian committee believes neither Liu nor his wife Liu Xia will be allowed to travel to Norway for the award ceremony on December 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17