Nobel `tribute` to all China dissidents: Vargas Llosa
Lima: Awarding the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to jailed activist Liu Xiaobo was a "tribute" to all Chinese dissidents, this year`s Nobel literature laureate Mario Vargas Llosa said.
"I believe that this is a tribute to all Chinese dissidents and all Chinese who want not just economic but also political growth and progress in China," Vargas Llosa told Peruvian television Frecuencia Latina from New York.
Liu was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize "for his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China," Norwegian Nobel Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said in his announcement.
The announcement came just a day after Vargas Llosa won the 2010 Nobel Prize for Literature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical