Nobel `tribute` to all China dissidents: Vargas Llosa
Lima: Awarding the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to jailed activist Liu Xiaobo was a "tribute" to all Chinese dissidents, this year`s Nobel literature laureate Mario Vargas Llosa said.
"I believe that this is a tribute to all Chinese dissidents and all Chinese who want not just economic but also political growth and progress in China," Vargas Llosa told Peruvian television Frecuencia Latina from New York.
Liu was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize "for his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China," Norwegian Nobel Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said in his announcement.
The announcement came just a day after Vargas Llosa won the 2010 Nobel Prize for Literature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested