Nobel `tribute` to all China dissidents: Vargas Llosa
Lima: Awarding the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to jailed activist Liu Xiaobo was a "tribute" to all Chinese dissidents, this year`s Nobel literature laureate Mario Vargas Llosa said.
"I believe that this is a tribute to all Chinese dissidents and all Chinese who want not just economic but also political growth and progress in China," Vargas Llosa told Peruvian television Frecuencia Latina from New York.
Liu was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize "for his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China," Norwegian Nobel Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said in his announcement.
The announcement came just a day after Vargas Llosa won the 2010 Nobel Prize for Literature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!