Nobel `tribute` to all China dissidents: Vargas Llosa
Lima: Awarding the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to jailed activist Liu Xiaobo was a "tribute" to all Chinese dissidents, this year`s Nobel literature laureate Mario Vargas Llosa said.
"I believe that this is a tribute to all Chinese dissidents and all Chinese who want not just economic but also political growth and progress in China," Vargas Llosa told Peruvian television Frecuencia Latina from New York.
Liu was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize "for his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China," Norwegian Nobel Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said in his announcement.
The announcement came just a day after Vargas Llosa won the 2010 Nobel Prize for Literature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city