Nobelists’ call for Obama to visit Hiroshima
Tokyo: Five Nobel peace laureates are calling on President Barack Obama to visit Hiroshima later this year to re-energise his call for a world without nuclear arms, strengthening a drive by the site of the world`s first atomic bomb attack to host the US leader.
A visit to Hiroshima, which the US bombed in 1945, killing about 140,000 people and hastening the end of World War II, would be unprecedented for a sitting US president and would be highly controversial. Many Japanese feel the bombing was an unjustified use of excessive force, while many in America believe it saved countless lives by forcing Japan to surrender.
Hiroshima is seeking to have Obama join the 11th World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates, which it will host in November. The White House has said Obama currently has no plans to visit Hiroshima, but he is expected to be in Japan at around that time to attend another summit meeting in Yokohama, just outside Tokyo.
Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009.
The letter to Obama was signed by former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev, Lech Walesa of Poland, former South African president Frederik Willem de Klerk, East Timorese President Jose Ramos-Horta and former Costa Rican president Oscar Arias Sanchez.
In their letter to Obama, the peace laureates said that they were encouraged by his determination to eliminate nuclear weapons, and urged him to join them in paying respects to those who died in the August 06, 1945, attack.
"There could not be a better venue for such a speech than Hiroshima — nor, perhaps, a more fitting forum than one presented by fellow Nobel Peace Laureates," the letter to Obama said, asking the President to be the keynote speaker.
Organisers of the event were not available for comment on Thursday. The letter signed by the laureates was posted on their website.
Hiroshima`s mayor has strongly urged Obama to visit the city. Former US president Jimmy Carter visited Hiroshima after leaving office, but no US president has travelled there while in office.
This month, US Ambassador John Roos attended the annual memorial ceremony marking the 65th anniversary of the bombing, becoming the first US representative to participate in that gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!