None of Zuma`s three wives to be designated as `first lady`
Johannesburg: Amid media speculation about
who will the `First Lady` of South African President Jacob
Zuma after he married for a fifth time, his office on Thursday said
there will be no such designation as the constitution has no
provision in this regard.
The Zulu traditionalist took Tobeka Madiba-Zuma as his
third current wife on Monday. One of Zuma`s wives is divorced
while another had died in 2000.
"The Presidency has noted media reports and speculation
following the wedding of President Jacob Zuma to Ms Tobeka
Madiba-Zuma and wishes to clarify a few points," his office
said in a statement.
"The Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996
and the public service regulations do not make provision for a
First Lady or First Ladies, and there is no such official
designation," it said.
The President will be accompanied by any of the spouses
to official or public engagements, or all of them at the same
time should he so decide, the Presidency said. "This is his
prerogative, and has been the practice since he took office."
Noting "incorrect media reports" stating that Zuma has
five wives, it said, "For the record, President Zuma has three
wives" and "a fiancee".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued