North China gas well fire burning for nearly week: Report
Beijing: A natural gas well operated by Shaanxi Yanchang Petroleum Group has been burning for nearly a week since drilling in the well caused gas to leak out and explode, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
No casualties have been reported. Villagers near the well were evacuated shortly after the accident, Xinhua cited a local county official as saying.
The accident took place late in the night on July 23 as workers drilled a gas well 2,750 meters under the ground in Yanchang County, said the official.
Some villagers were already in bed when they heard loudspeakers ordering them to flee immediately, and witnesses described flames shooting 20 meters high, it said.
Yanchang Petroleum Group, backed by north China`s Shaanxi provincial government, is China`s fourth-largest oil producer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam