North Korea building 2 light-water reactors: Report
Seoul: North Korea has been constructing two light-water reactors at its Yongbyon nuclear complex, South Korea`s KBS TV reported, quoting sources familiar with the matter.
A US nuclear expert who visited North Korea last month said yesterday that he was informed by the North Korean side during his visit that an experimental light-water reactor is being constructed at the country`s Yongbyon nuclear facility.
According to the KBS report, the first one is an experimental reactor with the output of around 5 megawatts, being constructed near the site where a cooling tower was blown up in June 2008 in line with an agreement reached in the six-nation talks on North Korea`s denuclearisation.
The reactor`s building is nearly completed, it said.
Another 50-megawatt light-water reactor is also under construction at the site where the building of a nuclear reactor with the similar output was suspended, the report said.
Last month, North Korea invited Siegfried Hecker, former chief of the Los Alomos National Laboratory, to the Yongbyon nuclear complex and showed him a uranium enrichment facility operating there.
The TV report said Pyongyang has also constructed a factory to manufacture nuclear fuel rods for light-water reactors, noting that North Korea apparently intends to build a complex of light-water reactors under the disguise of an industrial complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical