North Korea building 2 light-water reactors: Report
Seoul: North Korea has been constructing two light-water reactors at its Yongbyon nuclear complex, South Korea`s KBS TV reported, quoting sources familiar with the matter.
A US nuclear expert who visited North Korea last month said yesterday that he was informed by the North Korean side during his visit that an experimental light-water reactor is being constructed at the country`s Yongbyon nuclear facility.
According to the KBS report, the first one is an experimental reactor with the output of around 5 megawatts, being constructed near the site where a cooling tower was blown up in June 2008 in line with an agreement reached in the six-nation talks on North Korea`s denuclearisation.
The reactor`s building is nearly completed, it said.
Another 50-megawatt light-water reactor is also under construction at the site where the building of a nuclear reactor with the similar output was suspended, the report said.
Last month, North Korea invited Siegfried Hecker, former chief of the Los Alomos National Laboratory, to the Yongbyon nuclear complex and showed him a uranium enrichment facility operating there.
The TV report said Pyongyang has also constructed a factory to manufacture nuclear fuel rods for light-water reactors, noting that North Korea apparently intends to build a complex of light-water reactors under the disguise of an industrial complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond says Judi Dench
- Give education, equality to girl child, urges Amitabh Bachchan
- Will set up transit accommodations for Kashmiri Pandits till they feel safe to return: Mehbooba Mufti
- Youngsters at alcohol risk can be identified on social media
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 to be declared at 3 pm today