North Korea can`t gain from N-threats: South Korea
Seoul: South Korea`s defence minister has said that North Korea has nothing to gain from its missile and nuclear threats, Xinhua reported citing Yonhap News Agency Monday.
Seoul would pursue peace and prosperity on the Korean Peninsula by establishing a new inter-Korean relationship based on trust and cooperation with the international community, Defence Minister Kim Kwan-jin said at a forum in Seoul.
The defence ministry said in a report last week that Pyongyang has made headway in its capability to weaponise its nuclear programme, warning that it has developed into a real threat now that it can actually be weaponised and used at any time.
In late August, South Korean President Park Geun-hye had urged North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons programme, stating that Pyongyang was still adhering to nuclear weapons development despite opposition from international communities.
Pyongyang test-fired a long range rocket in December 2012 and conducted its third nuclear test in February 2013, escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula. These actions led to additional sanctions by the UN Security Council against North Korea.
North Korea, however, has shown its intention to rejoin the six-party talks, a multilateral negotiating body to dismantle the country`s nuclear programme, but it has yet to make clear its willingness to give up its nuclear weapons programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information