North Korea confirms Kim Jong-un is married
London: North Korean state media have confirmed for the first time that the country`s leader Kim Jong-un is married, the BBC reported on Wednesday.
Reports referred to him attending the opening of an amusement park with his wife, "Comrade Ri Sol-ju".
There had been much speculation about Kim`s private life in recent weeks when an unidentified woman was pictured attending events with him.
Kim Jong-un took over as leader of the country after the death of his father Kim Jong-il in December last year.
The eight minute report, which mentioned Ri, was broadcast on North Korean radio Wednesday.
There is a North Korean singer by the name of Ri Sol-ju but it has not been confirmed whether Kim`s wife is the same woman, the BBC said.
Ri is thought to be the same "mystery woman" who accompanied Kim to several events in recent weeks and whose Western dress and hairstyle led some to speculate on the influence of Kim`s brief European education.
Analysts have been watching Kim and his inner circle for clues as to the direction in which they will take the isolated state.
Kim Jong-un became leader of the North Korean Workers` Party and head of state following the death of his father Kim Jong-il in December 2011.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- No takers for Kingfisher Airlines brand at online auction
- Uttarakhand forest fire: PMO assures help for relief work
- AgustaWestland row: Aam Aadmi Party to gherao Sonia Gandhi, PM Narendra Modi's residence on May 7
- Poll contest in Kerala heading from 'bi-polar' to 'tri-polar': Arun Jaitley
- VVIP chopper scam: No deal inked with AgustaWestland, says Govt