North Korea denounces South Korea-US joint naval drill
Pyongyang: North Korea has denounced South Korea and US for their joint naval drill in the southern waters off the Korean Peninsula, an official said Saturday.
The drill defies North Korea`s repeated appeals of ending political and military hostilities and improving north-south ties, Xinhua reported.
"The planned reckless military actions are another open challenge to the sincere efforts of the army and people of North Korea to defuse tension on the peninsula and create peaceful atmosphere," the official said.
The nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier USS George Washington arrived Friday in South Korea`s southern port city of Pusan for a five-day port call ahead of the drills.
The drill will be carried out in southern and southwestern waters off the Korean Peninsula July 16-21, and then on July 21-22 the naval forces of both countries will conduct a joint drill with Japan in southern waters off the South Korean resort Jeju Island.
North Korea also warned the US that the more persistently it resorts to nuclear threat, the further it will strengthen its nuclear force, which it said is always ready to strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing