North Korea denounces South Korea-US joint naval drill
Pyongyang: North Korea has denounced South Korea and US for their joint naval drill in the southern waters off the Korean Peninsula, an official said Saturday.
The drill defies North Korea`s repeated appeals of ending political and military hostilities and improving north-south ties, Xinhua reported.
"The planned reckless military actions are another open challenge to the sincere efforts of the army and people of North Korea to defuse tension on the peninsula and create peaceful atmosphere," the official said.
The nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier USS George Washington arrived Friday in South Korea`s southern port city of Pusan for a five-day port call ahead of the drills.
The drill will be carried out in southern and southwestern waters off the Korean Peninsula July 16-21, and then on July 21-22 the naval forces of both countries will conduct a joint drill with Japan in southern waters off the South Korean resort Jeju Island.
North Korea also warned the US that the more persistently it resorts to nuclear threat, the further it will strengthen its nuclear force, which it said is always ready to strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal