North Korea denounces US over spying revelations
Pyongyang: North Korea, one of the world`s most repressive societies, branded the United States a "kingpin" of human rights abuses Tuesday, following revelations of the US government`s Internet surveillance programme.
A bylined commentary in the government`s official Minju Joson newspaper said US National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden had exposed the global nature of the NSA`s intrusive monitoring activities.
"This clearly proves once again that the US is a kingpin of human rights abuses as it put the world under its watch network and has conducted espionage against mankind," said the commentary as reported by the official Korean Central News Agency.
North Korea is widely recognised as one of the most world`s most tightly-controlled societies where daily life is monitored and regulated at almost every level.
Washington has repeatedly sought to censure Pyongyang over its human rights record in fora like the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
The Minju Joson commentary argued that Snowden`s revelations had exposed the hypocrisy of the US position and said Washington would have to reflect before mentioning "such sacred words as human rights" in the future.
The article echoed criticism in the official Chinese media.
China`s official army newspaper on Sunday branded the US National Security Agency`s surveillance programme as "frightening", and accused the US of being a "habitual offender" when it comes to network monitoring.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India