North Korea deploys new guns along border: Report
Seoul: North Korea has deployed new rocket launchers along its border capable of hitting targets beyond Seoul, a report said on Sunday.
Artillery units from the North were spotted replacing older multiple rocket stations with an upgraded version of the 240mm guns, Yonhap news agency said.
The agency quoted an unnamed government official as saying the new multiple rocket launchers with a maximum range of 70 kilometres could extend their reach beyond the South Korean capital.
The South`s defence ministry declined to confirm the report.
North Korea has 5,100 multiple rocket launchers, according to military data. It has been eager to upgrade its mainstream multiple rocket launchers, which pose a serious security threat to South Korea.
Residents in Seoul and neighbouring satellite cities, together home to nearly half the South`s 49 million people, have always lived under threat of attack from the North`s rockets and long-range artillery.
In 2010, North Korea using multiple rocket launchers shelled a South Korean island near the disputed Yellow Sea border, killing four people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?