North Korea dishes out another bold `nuke` statement
Pyongyang: A day after declaring itself in “state of war” with South Korea, Pyongyang on Sunday dished out another bold statement calling nuclear weapons as the “nation’s life” and “not a political bargaining chip”.
The latest statement came at a plenary meeting of central committee of North Korea’s ruling Worker’s party.
North Korea`s nuclear weapons are a "treasure" not to be traded for "billions of dollars," the statement said. They "are neither a political bargaining chip nor a thing for economic dealings to be presented to the place of dialogue or be put on the table of negotiations aimed at forcing (Pyongyang) to disarm itself," it said.
North Korea`s "nuclear armed forces represent the nation`s life, which can never be abandoned as long as the imperialists and nuclear threats exist on earth," the statement said.
The meeting, which was presided by Kim Jong Un, set a "new strategic line" calling for building both a stronger economy and nuclear arsenal.
The meeting which is generally convened every year, was last seen in 2012, says South Africa.
Pyongyang which is agitated over the joint US-South Korea drills, has been issuing aggressive statements of late with the latest ones being a vow to launch nuclear strikes on the United States and a warning Saturday that the Korean Peninsula was in a "state of war."
The White House says the United States is taking North Korea`s threats seriously, but has also noted Pyongyang`s history of "bellicose rhetoric."
The plenary statement also called for strengthening the moribund economy, which Kim has put an emphasis on in his public statements since taking power after the death of his father, Kim Jong Il, in late 2011. The United Nations says two-thirds of the country`s 24 million people face regular food shortages.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference