North Korea hits out at South-US army drill
Seoul: North Korea`s top military body today lashed out at an ongoing South Korea-US army drill, warning that it could compromise a recent easing of military tensions on the Korean peninsula.
The criticism from the North`s National Defence Commission marked the first high-level rebuke of the 10-day Ulchi Freedom Guardian joint exercise, which ends tomorrow.
Pyongyang`s unusual silence over an annual drill that it habitually condemns as a war rehearsal had been attributed to ongoing North-South talks on a number of cross-border projects.
Today`s statement was forthright but lacked the bellicose rhetoric of similar denunciations issued during the heightened tensions of March and April.
The powerful commission, chaired by North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, accused South Korea and the United States of playing "a dangerous war game" and making provocative "nuclear threats" towards Pyongyang.
"The hard-won mood of reconciliation is now faced with a grave challenge posed by... The US and South governments that haven`t shed their old-fashioned confrontational approach," it said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.
The Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise practises a joint response to a North Korean invasion. Although largely played out on computers, it involves more than 80,000 South Korean and US troops.
The North`s muted response to the drill, which started at the beginning of last week, reflected progress in cross-border talks on a number of key issues.
The two Koreas recently agreed to work together to reopen their shuttered Kaesong industrial complex and to hold a family reunion event for those separated during the Korean War.
But Pyongyang was frustrated this week by Seoul`s lukewarm response to its proposal for parallel talks on resuming South Korean tours to its Mount Kumgang resort, a source of badly-needed hard currency.
The Seoul-invested resort was closed in 2008 after a South Korean tourist was shot dead by a North Korean soldier.
North Korea was also angered by South Korea`s hosting last week of a UN Commission of Inquiry into the North`s human rights record.
Pyongyang described North Korean defectors who provided harrowing testimony to the commission as "human scum" manipulated by the South`s authorities.
"There is a limit to our magnanimity and patience," the defence commission warned today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly