North Korea launches rare attack on Chinese firm
London: North Korea has made a blistering and extremely rare attack on a Chinese mining company that has accused it of being a ‘nightmare’ to do business with.
Chinese firm Xiyang was working on an iron ore venture, but said it stopped after facing unreasonable demands.
Xiyang said it invested over USD 37 million on the project, but shelved it after North Korea asked for significant changes to the contract.
The company also said that North Korea violated its own investment laws, the BBC reports.
“They just don`t have the conditions for foreigners to invest. They say they welcome investment but they don`t have the legal or social foundations," Wu Xisheng, the firm’s vice-general manager, said.
According to the BBC, a North Korean spokesman issued a statement carried by the state-run media, saying that Xiyang ‘is chiefly to blame from the legal point of view’.
“It [Xiyang] has carried out only 50 percent of its investment obligations though almost four years have passed since the contract took effect,” the report quoted the spokesman, as saying.
According to analysts, it is unusual for the North to criticise anything involving China, its sole major ally.
The report pointed out that the row emerged amid signs that North Korea could be trying to revive its economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why