North Korea leader`s aunt unscathed after husband`s execution
Seoul: The powerful aunt of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un appears unscathed after the shock purge of her husband who was executed for treason, according to a report from state media.
Kim Kyoung-Hui, sister of late leader Kim Jong-Il, was named as a member of the state funeral committee for a senior party official who died on Friday, according to a report by KCNA late yesterday.
Her name was listed along with a horde of top party and military cadres including defence chief Jang Jong-Nam and Choe Ryong-Hae, the director of the North Korean military`s political bureau and Jong-Un`s close confidant.
News of Kim Kyong-Hui attending an official function indicates that she remains in favour with her nephew, who has been consolidating his grip on power since his father`s death two years ago.
The report came days after Jang Song-Thaek, Kim Kyoung-Hui`s powerful husband and political regent of Kim Jong-Un, was executed for corruption and plotting to overthrow the state, among other charges.
His execution on Friday - carried out only four days after he was ousted from all his party and military positions - was the biggest political upheaval since the young Kim Jong-Un took power after the death of his father in December 2011.
Jang played key role in cementing the leadership of the young and inexperienced Kim Jong-Un.
But the 67-year-old`s growing political influence and power was increasingly resented by Kim Jong-Un, analysts said.
Jang and Kim Kyoung-Hui were once regarded as the ultimate power couple in Pyongyang, as both held key positions at the ruling party.
But Kim Kyoung-Hui, 67, has been less visible in the past year, with reports that she was seriously ill and had sought hospital treatment in Singapore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened