North Korea may be readying missile test: Report
Seoul: North Korea has declared a no-sail zone off its west coast, indicating it may be readying to test-launch missiles in the area, South Korean news broadcaster YTN on Tuesday quoted a military official as saying.
The area is near a contested sea border with the South that was the site of a brief naval clash in November between the states, technically still at war that left a South Korean ship pockmarked with bullet holes and a North Korean vessel limping back to port in flames.
About a month before that clash, North Korea rattled regional security by firing short-range missiles off its east coast.
"We are closely monitoring the area to inspect whether this announcement was made as a part of their winter training or to launch short-range missiles," the unnamed official told YTN.
South Korean military officials said they were checking on the YTN report.
Destitute North Korea in recent weeks has signalled that it is ready to reduce the security threat it poses to economically vital North Asia by saying it could end its year-long boycott of international nuclear disarmament talks.
Analysts said the latest moves may be an attempt by Pyongyang to increase its leverage and win concessions to lure it back to the table in the disarmament-for-aid talks among the two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves