North Korea ‘may conduct another nuke test’
London: North Korea has promised to strengthen its defences amid concerns the country may conduct a nuclear test as a follow-up to last month’s long-range rocket launch.
Citing US hostility, the country’s Foreign Ministry said in a memorandum that North Korea will ‘continue to strengthen its deterrence against all forms of war’.
The memorandum, which was carried by state run media, did not mention what action the country would take to defend itself.
North Korea has, however, claimed the right to build atomic weapons to protect itself from the United States, which stations more than 28,000 troops in South Korea, the Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, quoting South Korean intelligence sources, local media said Pyongyang warned its main political ally that the underground test would be carried out before January 20.
Since North Korea successfully launched a ballistic missile in December, there has been growing concern that the regime of Kim Jong-un would follow that triumph up with its third nuclear test.
According to some analysts, the intension is to demonstrate that it has the technology both to build a nuclear warhead and the missile system to deliver it to a target.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information