North Korea names new envoy for stalled nuke talks
Bali: North Korea appointed a new top envoy to stalled disarmament talks on Friday and was preparing for informal talks with South Korea on the sidelines of Asia`s largest security forum, officials said.
The North — which stands to get badly needed aid and other concessions if it returns to six-party talks aimed at ending its nuclear weapons program — has indicated in recent months that it might be ready.
North Korean Foreign Minister Pak Ui-Chun told reporters veteran diplomat Ri Yong Ho had been named the country`s top envoy to the six-way talks.
A senior US official, speaking on condition he not be named, said the North also had agreed to hold working-level talks with the South on Friday.
It would be the "first big interaction" between the two sides in many months, he said, and could lead to increased open interaction between the two sides in the months to come.
Disarmament talks have been stalled since 2008, when North Korea walked out to protest international criticism of a prohibited long-range rocket launch. Tensions between the North and South have remained testy ever since.
But top diplomats from all six countries involved in the talks — the United States, China, Russia, Japan and North and South Korea — are attending the ASEAN Regional Forum raising hopes of a breakthrough.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she and Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi would discuss their "mutual desire for peace and stability on the Korean peninsula" on Friday.
Yang agreed, saying this was the time to unite.
"Anything we can do together to promote a better atmosphere and good dialogue among the parties concerned and to restart the six-party talks would be in the best interests of peace, stability and security of the region," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley