North Korea `not eager` to resume six-party talks: UN envoy
Beijing: UN special envoy Lynn Pascoe said
on Friday, after a visit to Pyongyang, that North Korea was "not
eager" to return to six-nation nuclear disarmament talks.
"They certainly are not happy with the sanctions and they
certainly were not eager -- not ruling out but not eager -- to
return to the six-party talks," Pascoe told a news conference
He visited communist North Korea as intense diplomatic
efforts are made to persuade the North`s leadership to resume
nuclear talks that it broke off last April.
North Korea`s envoy to the talks, Kim Kye-Gwan, has also
been in Beijing to meet Chinese officials. China, South Korea,
Japan, Russia and the United States have been trying to
persuade the North to disarm.
After quitting the disarmament forum last April, North
Korea defiantly staged its second atomic weapons test the
following month, resulting in tougher UN sanctions.
It insists these should be lifted before talks resume,
and also wants a US commitment to hold discussions about a
permanent peace treaty between the two sides.
The 1950-53 Korean War, in which the United States led
the international force under the UN flag, has never been
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you