North Korea `not eager` to resume six-party talks: UN envoy
Beijing: UN special envoy Lynn Pascoe said
on Friday, after a visit to Pyongyang, that North Korea was "not
eager" to return to six-nation nuclear disarmament talks.
"They certainly are not happy with the sanctions and they
certainly were not eager -- not ruling out but not eager -- to
return to the six-party talks," Pascoe told a news conference
He visited communist North Korea as intense diplomatic
efforts are made to persuade the North`s leadership to resume
nuclear talks that it broke off last April.
North Korea`s envoy to the talks, Kim Kye-Gwan, has also
been in Beijing to meet Chinese officials. China, South Korea,
Japan, Russia and the United States have been trying to
persuade the North to disarm.
After quitting the disarmament forum last April, North
Korea defiantly staged its second atomic weapons test the
following month, resulting in tougher UN sanctions.
It insists these should be lifted before talks resume,
and also wants a US commitment to hold discussions about a
permanent peace treaty between the two sides.
The 1950-53 Korean War, in which the United States led
the international force under the UN flag, has never been
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India