North Korea prescribes 28 approved hairstyles
Beijing: Hair-dos and hair-don`ts!
North Koreans are now allowed to choose only from a state-approved list of 28 hairstyles to "ward off the corrupting effects of capitalism".
The hermit state has recommended a range of 28 hairstyles for its citizens, claiming that they are "the most comfortable" styles and capable of warding off the corrupting effects of capitalism, according to ifeng.Com, a news website run by Hong Kong`s Phoenix TV network.
Women can choose from 18 feathery looks, while men must make do with only 10, `wantchinatimes.Com` reported.
However, the `grunge` hairstyle sported by the country`s supreme leader Kim Jong UN is not on the list.
Spiky hair is forbidden, as are quiffs. Married women are instructed to keep their tresses short, while the single ladies are allowed let loose with longer, curlier locks.
The hair of the country`s young men should be less than 5 cm long and they should have a haircut once every 15 days as longer hair apparently takes away nutrition from their brains.
Older men, whose brains are presumably in decline anyway, are allowed to rock out with hair as long as 7 cm.
The news anchor for the country`s Korean Central Television, Ri Chun-hee, who is known for being patriotic to the point of hysteria, changed her hairstyle twice within two weeks in 2011.
The hairstyle changes have been interpreted as suggesting that Pyongyang is trying to improve its image since the state broadcaster is considered the front gate of the country.
Others speculate that the changes were made because the country`s young leader Kim disliked the previous styles.
It appears from the list that North Korean men are not allowed to emulate the preferred hairdo of the country`s new leader.
Breaking the new rules could leave people facing a brush with the law.
Kim himself has most recently been seen sporting longer hair on top with a center parting and his head completely shaved at the sides, a style popular in the West.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why