‘North Korea prison camps like Holocaust in progress’
Sydney: North Korea’s prison camps are a closed-off world of death, torture and forced labour where babies are born to be slaves like their parents, two survivors have revealed.
One of the survivors, Shin Dong-hyuk, even likened the horrors of the camps to a Holocaust in progress.
Shin spent his first 23 years in a prison camp in the secretive country, where he said he was tortured and subjected to forced labour before making a spectacular escape seven years ago, and giving the outside world a rare first-hand account of life inside the camps.
While Shin`s comparison with Nazi concentration camps, where the majority of the six million Jews who perished during the Holocaust were murdered, may seem extreme, another North Korean prison camp survivor, Chol-Hwan Kang, agreed with the analogy, News.co. au reports.
Kang told a France-based news agency that ‘fundamentally, it is the same as Hitler`s Auschwitz,’ referring to one of the Nazi era`s most notorious death camps.
Shin and Kang described life in the camp as defined by hunger and violence.
Kang said ‘daily he saw torture, and people dying of malnutrition and starvation.’
According to the report, Shin still carries the scars of his experience on his body.
He revealed the missing tip of his middle finger, which he says was chopped off by a prison guard as punishment after he dropped a piece of machinery in a factory.
According to the report, both men say the international community must do more to help North Koreans, with Kang insisting the world should take advantage of growing feelings of opposition within the communist state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview