North Korea rejects US offer, wants sanctions halted

North Korea refused to sign a non-aggression agreement that US Secretary of State John Kerry offered last week on condition of denuclearisation.

PTI| Last Updated: Oct 12, 2013, 23:09 PM IST

Seoul: North Korea refused to sign a non-aggression agreement that US Secretary of State John Kerry offered last week on condition of denuclearisation.
In a statement carried by the North`s official state media today, the National Defence Commission spokesman said the US should stop sanctions meant to punish its February nuclear test and provocations including military exercises on the Korean Peninsula.

Earlier this week, North Korea criticised joint two-day naval drills among the US, South Korea and Japan, which the allies said were aimed at improving readiness to maritime disasters.

North Korea called the drills as a military confrontation, saying it is ready to foil any enemy provocation. The powerful commission`s statement came in response to recent US official`s remarks.

During his trip to Japan, Kerry said the door for negotiation with North Korea is open if it abandons nuclear weapons and complies with international demands.

Kerry said the Washington is ready to have a peaceful relationship with Pyongyang providing it decides to denuclearise.

The North`s statement came as the mother of an American held in North Korea visited her son for the first time in his 11-month detention.