North Korea sends UN a denial of ship sinking
Seoul: North Korea has sent a statement to UN members repeating a denial that it torpedoed a South Korean warship, the communist country`s state media reported on Monday.
A Seoul-led international investigation concluded that a North Korean submarine fired a torpedo that sank the South Korean warship Cheonan in March near the tense sea border between the Koreas, killing 46 sailors.
Pyongyang`s Korean Central News Agency said it circulated a statement among UN members last week. It called the international investigation`s results a "hideous conspiratorial farce" orchestrated by South Korea and the United States.
Earlier this month, the North issued a lengthy point-by-point denial of the sinking. The report came days after a series of talks with the American-led United Nations Command that focused on the Cheonan sinking ended with little progress.
The North accused the UN Command, which oversees the armistice that ended the 1950-53 Korean War, of rejecting its demand that crucial evidence of the sinking should be brought to the Korean border village where the talks were taking place.
South Korea`s Foreign Ministry confirmed the statement`s circulation at the UN, saying it was discussing how to respond.
It`s not known how the UN will react to the North`s statement. In July, the UN Security Council adopted a presidential statement that condemned the attack but didn`t directly blame North Korea. South Korea pushed for direct condemnation. But China - the North`s most important ally and a veto-holding council member - opposed it and any new sanctions against its communist neighbour.
The sinking caused tension to soar on the Korean peninsula, which officially remains in a state of war because the Korean War ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you