North Korea, South Korea sign deal on Kaesong committee
Seoul: The two Koreas formally signed an agreement on Thursday forming a joint committee that will meet next week and is tasked with re-opening and running a joint industrial park shut down in April.
The initial challenge facing the 12-member committee is hammering out a schedule that will lead to the resumption of operations at the Kaesong complex.
The South`s Unification Ministry, which handles inter-Korean affairs, said the first meeting would take place Monday in Kaesong, 10 kilometres inside the North Korean border.
The complex was established in 2004 as a rare symbol of North-South reconciliation and survived a series of crises on the Korean peninsula that saw other joint projects collapse.
But operations were suspended in April when the North withdrew all its 53,000 workers at a time of heightened military tensions.
Pyongyang said its hand had been forced by "provocative" South Korea-US joint military exercises.
The two Koreas agreed earlier this month to create the joint committee in an effort to get the complex, a valuable source of hard currency for the North, up and running again.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!