North Korea threat: Chuck Hagel speaks to S Korea minister
Washington: Amidst growing tension in the Korean peninsula and increasing threat from North Korea, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has spoken to his South Korean counterpart Kim Kwan Jin to review the security situation.
Hagel and Kim reaffirmed the strength of the alliance, which has been and continues to be, instrumental in maintaining stability on the Korean peninsula, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
During the call late yesterday, Hagel highlighted the steadfast US commitment to the defence of South Korea, including extended deterrence capabilities, and pointed to the recently signed South Korea-US counter-provocation plan as a mechanism to enhance consultation and coordination of alliance responses to North Korean aggression, he said.
Little said Hagel spoke by phone with Kim to discuss the unwavering United States` commitment to its alliance with the Republic of Korea, especially during this time of heightened tension on the Korean Peninsula.
Hagel also expressed his strong confidence in General James D Thurman, who leads the 28,500 strong American contingent in South Korea, and applauded the steps his team has taken to further integrate command and control functions with the Republic of Korea.
"The leaders also discussed the recently announced US plan to increase US ground-based interceptors and early warning and tracking radar in response to the North Korean threat," Little said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days