`North Korea upgrading rocket launch site`
Washington: A US research institute says North Korea is upgrading one of its two major missile launch sites, apparently to handle much bigger rockets.
Design features of a new launch pad under construction at the northeastern site of Tonghae also suggest Iran may be helping North Korea.
38 North, the website of the US-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, published its assessment today based on commercial satellite images, the latest taken last month.
The analysis also identifies activity at an older launch pad at Tonghae, last used for a long-range rocket in 2009, but says it`s unclear if that indicates preparations for another launch there.
A successful satellite launch in December and a nuclear test on Tuesday have intensified international concern over Pyongyang`s weapons development.
"Countries that have a track record of past terrorist activity that have been removed from the list are regularly reviewed to check whether that kind of behaviour has resumed," Nuland said.
"With regard to North Korea, we regularly review the intelligence for resumption of terrorist activity," she said in response to a question.
As a matter of US law, in order for a country to be designated as a state sponsor of terrorism, the Secretary of State has to determine that the government of that country has repeatedly provided support for acts of international terrorism, she said.
"So these designations are made after careful review of the record of the country in question. We regularly review our intelligence on North Korea to determine whether the facts would put them back in that category. I don`t, obviously, have anything to announce in terms of a change of posture today," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh