`North Korea upgrading rocket launch site`
Washington: A US research institute says North Korea is upgrading one of its two major missile launch sites, apparently to handle much bigger rockets.
Design features of a new launch pad under construction at the northeastern site of Tonghae also suggest Iran may be helping North Korea.
38 North, the website of the US-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, published its assessment today based on commercial satellite images, the latest taken last month.
The analysis also identifies activity at an older launch pad at Tonghae, last used for a long-range rocket in 2009, but says it`s unclear if that indicates preparations for another launch there.
A successful satellite launch in December and a nuclear test on Tuesday have intensified international concern over Pyongyang`s weapons development.
"Countries that have a track record of past terrorist activity that have been removed from the list are regularly reviewed to check whether that kind of behaviour has resumed," Nuland said.
"With regard to North Korea, we regularly review the intelligence for resumption of terrorist activity," she said in response to a question.
As a matter of US law, in order for a country to be designated as a state sponsor of terrorism, the Secretary of State has to determine that the government of that country has repeatedly provided support for acts of international terrorism, she said.
"So these designations are made after careful review of the record of the country in question. We regularly review our intelligence on North Korea to determine whether the facts would put them back in that category. I don`t, obviously, have anything to announce in terms of a change of posture today," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why