North Korea urges nuclear talks `without preconditions`
Beijing: North Korea`s leading nuclear envoy is calling for a new round of six-nation denuclearization talks without preconditions.
First Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan`s remarks in Beijing today are unlikely to gain traction in Washington. US officials have rejected new discussions before the North makes a clear commitment to carry out earlier promises to disarm.
South Korea and Japan are also dubious of such calls. The other two parties to the talks, Russia and China, have been more supportive of getting the dialogue back on track.
The last round of talks in 2008 broke down over how to verify North Korea was meeting its pledges. Pyongyang has since ramped up tensions with a third nuclear test and missile launch, bringing a tightening of UN sanctions against the isolated regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?