North Korea vows to review ‘nuclear issue’
Washington: North Korea has said that it would "review the nuclear issue" after arresting a North Korean defector for allegedly plotting to destroy statues of the late leader Kim Il Sung, at the behest of the United States and South Korea.
Jon Yong Chol said that South Korean and US intelligence agencies had ordered him to return to the country to blow up statues and monuments, in a bid to make it appear that North Korea was suffering internal unrest.
While South Korea has denied the allegation as groundless, a government official dismissed the idea as an "improbable plot”.
The North Korean Foreign Ministry in a statement said that, by backing the plot, the US had violated a deal with Pyongyang to pull back on its nuclear program.
“The situation forces us to completely review the nuclear issue,” the Los Angeles Times quoted the ministry, as saying.
A failed North Korean rocket launch earlier this year, widely believed to be a cover for testing its ballistic missile technology, had reportedly spurred fears that the country would turn next to a nuclear test, as it did after unsuccessful launches in 2006 and 2009, the paper said.
Earlier this year, North Korea said it had no plans to carry out a nuclear test, but the Friday announcement spurred speculation over whether the country`s leadership could be reconsidering its stance.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview