North Korea warns US anew of nuclear `measures`
United Nations: North Korea on Monday fired a fresh warning that it would take nuclear "measures" if the United States does not end what the communist state described as provocations.
North Korea`s ambassador to the United Nations, Ri Tong-Li, said that Pyongyang was "ready" with measures that would "demonstrate the power of the self-defensive nuclear deterrent."
Asked at a news conference for more detail, Ri said: "We are keeping ourselves restrained from taking the additional measures, but it is totally dependent on the attitude of the US.
"What kind of additional measures, I think you can wait and see later," he said.
North Korea earlier this month also threatened to react against US "blackmail," although think tanks that assess satellite imagery said there was no sign of an imminent nuclear or long-range missile test.
North Korea, however, has carried out a series of short-range missile tests. Ri described the maneuvers as "routine" and said that it was instead the United States which was "hellbent on provocations" through joint exercises with ally South Korea.
Ri also accused the United States of "human rights conspiracies" after a UN commission last month said that North Korea was carrying out executions, forced labor and other abuses so pervasive that they draw parallels to Nazi Germany`s crimes against humanity.
Ri said that the United States was "clinging on the issue of human rights" after efforts to stop North Korea`s nuclear program failed. Ri accused South Korea`s non-governmental organizations of
"brainwashing" North Koreans, who often report abuses after defecting.
"NGOs of South Korea (are) crazy about dollars of US," Ri said. "They were hellbent on whatever means -- luring, abducting Korean citizens."
Ri said that groups that work with North Koreans who enter China were "camouflaging their real colors" by portraying themselves are missionaries.
The UN Commission of Inquiry said that North Korea did not cooperate and that it based its findings on research that included 240 confidential interviews and public testimony from 80 witnesses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM