North Korean ICBM, N-weapons pose threat: Panetta
Washington: The North Korean nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles pose threat to America, US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said here.
"We have been dealing with the threat from North Korea for a long time now in terms of their developing intercontinental ballistic missiles that could reach our homeland and could obviously reach other countries in that region. That`s a threat," Panetta told reporters on Thursday during a Pentagon news conference.
"They have developed nuclear weapons. That`s a threat. In addition to that, they continue to enrich uranium in violation of every international rule and that`s a threat," he said.
"As a result of that, we`re doing everything we can to defend ourselves against that potential threat and that includes the efforts by South Korea to be able to protect itself in the event that it becomes the target for that kind of attack," Panetta said.
"So it`s for all those reasons that we are working closely not only with South Korea but with Japan and other countries in the region to make sure that we can defend ourselves against the kind of provocation and threats that emerge out of North Korea," he said responding to questions from reporters.
A day earlier, the South Korean Defence Minister had said that North Korea is preparing to conduct another nuclear test.
However, Panetta said he has not seen any intelligence information in that regard.
"I have not seen intelligence that has indicated that this was imminent. We always get intelligence that, you know, they continue to make plans for this, but I have not seen, at least intelligence that I`ve noted, that indicates that it`s imminent," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon