North Korean leader hosts senior Chinese officials
Seoul: North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and his son and heir-apparent Kim Jong Un pledged to keep ties with China close as they staged a dinner party for a visiting delegation of senior Chinese officials to celebrate the 50th anniversary of a treaty of friendship.
Kim Jong Il told the Chinese delegation, headed by Vice Premier Zhang Dejiang, that close relations will stay "unchanged no matter how much water flows under the bridge and no matter how frequently a generation is replaced by another," according to a statement from the North`s official Korean Central News Agency released late Tuesday night after the dinner party.
Zhang was said to have praised Kim`s efforts to boost cooperative ties and promised that Beijing will push forward on the wide-ranging agreements reached by the two countries` leaders.
Kim Jong Il made a surprise visit to China in May, and the countries have broken ground on the initial stages of a pair of joint economic development zones.
Earlier footage from Associated Press Television News in North Korea`s capital, Pyongyang, showed Zhang greeting Kim Yong Nam, the head of the North`s Parliament, and later touring Kim Il Sung University and its computer library.
Zhang arrived in Pyongyang on Sunday and was due to leave on Wednesday.
The countries fought together in the 1950-53 Korean War, and China remains North Korea`s most important ally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?