North Korean leader hosts senior Chinese officials
Seoul: North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and his son and heir-apparent Kim Jong Un pledged to keep ties with China close as they staged a dinner party for a visiting delegation of senior Chinese officials to celebrate the 50th anniversary of a treaty of friendship.
Kim Jong Il told the Chinese delegation, headed by Vice Premier Zhang Dejiang, that close relations will stay "unchanged no matter how much water flows under the bridge and no matter how frequently a generation is replaced by another," according to a statement from the North`s official Korean Central News Agency released late Tuesday night after the dinner party.
Zhang was said to have praised Kim`s efforts to boost cooperative ties and promised that Beijing will push forward on the wide-ranging agreements reached by the two countries` leaders.
Kim Jong Il made a surprise visit to China in May, and the countries have broken ground on the initial stages of a pair of joint economic development zones.
Earlier footage from Associated Press Television News in North Korea`s capital, Pyongyang, showed Zhang greeting Kim Yong Nam, the head of the North`s Parliament, and later touring Kim Il Sung University and its computer library.
Zhang arrived in Pyongyang on Sunday and was due to leave on Wednesday.
The countries fought together in the 1950-53 Korean War, and China remains North Korea`s most important ally.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij