North Korean leader Kim Jong Un`s aunt dies, says report
Zee Media Bureau
Pyongyang: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un`s aunt and Jang Song Thaek`s wife, Kim Kyong Hui, has died, a report said on Tuesday.
Notably, Kim had reportedly executed his uncle Jang Song Thaek last month. Chosun Ilbo, a major newspaper, has quoted a source in the South Korean government as saying that Kim Kyong Hui, 67, has either "committed suicide or died from a heart attack". South Korean intelligence sources have yet to confirm the news.
According to the Daily NK, a dissident newspaper based in Japan, Kim Kyong Hui travelled to Russia for medical treatment after suffering a heart attack due to stress in the wake of Jang`s purge and execution. Kim is the sister of North Korea`s former leader Kim Jong-il, and has served as secretary for the party and held the rank of general in the Korean People`s Army.
The last time she was seen in the public was on September 10, when she attended a musical performance with Kim Jong Un and his wife, Ri Sol Ju. However, she did not attend the ceremony commemorating the second anniversary of the death of her late brother, Kim Jong Il, on December 17.
"It would not come as a surprise if she is indeed dead," Toshimitsu Shigemura, a professor at Tokyo`s Waseda University and an authority on North Korean affairs, told The Daily Telegraph. "She is not well, she has been treated for cancer, and the alcoholism dates back about 30 years."
Kim Kyong Hui has held several top positions within her country’s government, including secretary of the ruling Workers` Party and a four-star Army general, according to a news agency. She and Jang had one daughter who committed suicide in 2006 while studying in Paris.
"If she is dead, then this is a serious problem for Kim Jong-un," Shigemura told The Telegraph. "As the sole daughter of the founder of the nation, she had both authority and legitimacy and she used that to protect Kim Jong-un`s government. She was the sun and he was the moon."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in