North Korean nuclear test highly provocative: Obama
Washington: US President Barack Obama condemned the North Korean nuclear test that was conducted Tuesday, calling it "highly provocative".
The test, which North Korea claimed was successful, was carried out at 11.57 a.m. in Kilju county, North Hamkyung province, reported Xinhua.
"This is a highly provocative act that, following its December 12 ballistic missile launch, undermines regional stability, violates North Korea`s obligations under numerous United Nations Security Council resolutions," Obama said in a statement issued by the White House.
Obama said North Korea`s latest move contravenes its commitments under the Sep 19, 2005 Joint Statement of the Six-Party Talks on North Korea`s nuclear programmes and "increases the risk of proliferation".
Calling North Korea`s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs as a threat to US national security and to international peace and security, Obama said the US "remains vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and steadfast in our defense commitments to allies in the region".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31