North Korean satellite tumbling out of control?
London: A satellite that North Korea launched into space appears to be "tumbling out of control" as it orbits the earth, causing concern that it could crash-land with potentially dangerous consequences, a British daily reported.
US defence officials said the "object" which was launched Wednesday has adopted an unstable trajectory, according to the Daily Mail.
While admitting that the craft was "some kind of space vehicle", the White House said the rocket launch was a highly provocative act. The UN Security Council called it a "clear violation" of UN resolutions.
Countries are also fearing that the object, which North Korea claims is a weather satellite, could collide with other orbiting vehicles above Earth.
In 2009, a defunct one-tonne Russian satellite with a nuclear reactor on-board collided with an American orbiter over Siberia causing a bus-sized piece of debris to re-enter the atmosphere, although it landed in the Atlantic Ocean.
However, the collision did cause over 600 piece of debris to scatter over Mexico but there were no injuries or damage to property, the daily said.
North Korea is currently banned from conducting missile and nuclear tests under the terms of UN sanctions imposed after a series of nuclear weapons tests in 2006 and 2009.
The country`s official KCNA news agency said it was a weather satellite that achieved orbit as planned.
However, the US said the launch was an attempt to perfect a three-stage intercontinental ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead to the West Coast of America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in