North Korean satellite tumbling out of control?
London: A satellite that North Korea launched into space appears to be "tumbling out of control" as it orbits the earth, causing concern that it could crash-land with potentially dangerous consequences, a British daily reported.
US defence officials said the "object" which was launched Wednesday has adopted an unstable trajectory, according to the Daily Mail.
While admitting that the craft was "some kind of space vehicle", the White House said the rocket launch was a highly provocative act. The UN Security Council called it a "clear violation" of UN resolutions.
Countries are also fearing that the object, which North Korea claims is a weather satellite, could collide with other orbiting vehicles above Earth.
In 2009, a defunct one-tonne Russian satellite with a nuclear reactor on-board collided with an American orbiter over Siberia causing a bus-sized piece of debris to re-enter the atmosphere, although it landed in the Atlantic Ocean.
However, the collision did cause over 600 piece of debris to scatter over Mexico but there were no injuries or damage to property, the daily said.
North Korea is currently banned from conducting missile and nuclear tests under the terms of UN sanctions imposed after a series of nuclear weapons tests in 2006 and 2009.
The country`s official KCNA news agency said it was a weather satellite that achieved orbit as planned.
However, the US said the launch was an attempt to perfect a three-stage intercontinental ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead to the West Coast of America.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate