North Korea`s isolation is of its own making: US
Washington: Stating that the US is trying to help the people of North Korea in whatever way it can, the Obama Administration today said North Korea`s isolation is of its own making.
"North Korea`s isolation is of its own making. The United States is trying to help the people of North Korea in whatever ways we can. We have supported NGOs who are trying to work with ordinary North Koreans trying to improve their lives," State
Department Acting Spokesman Gordon Duguid said.
"Till North Korea ended the programme, we were supplying food aid to North Korea to try and alleviate the starvation that is caused by no other factor other than the
government`s pursuit of a nuclear programme at all costs -- costs to its people, costs to its economy," he said.
"So if there were broader engagement with the international community, there would be a free exchange of ideas, there would be a free exchange of commerce, there would
be free exchange of people travelling into and out of North Korea that could alleviate many of the problems that exist there," Duguid said.
"Under the current regime and under the current circumstances, that`s not the case. We do rely on non-governmental organisations who can work in North Korea to try and help the lives of ordinary North Koreans.
If helping improve the lives of ordinary North Koreans is a problem, if it`s an aggravation, I don`t understand it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days