Northern Chile hit by 5.9 magnitude quake
Santiago: A strong earthquake with a magnitude of 5.9 has shaken up northern Chile, but there are no reports of injury or damage, the US Geological Survey said.
Chilean authorities discount the possibility of a tsunami.
The USGS says the quake occurred today at 4:35 am local time was centered 52 kilometers off the Chilean coast, west of the city of Taltal and 1,100 kilometers north of Santiago.
Police in Chile say the temblor caused a temporary interruption in fixed and mobile telephone service in some areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley