Northern Ireland water chief quits after huge supply cuts
Belfast: The head of Northern Ireland`s under-fire water supplier announced his resignation on Thursday after thousands of homes in the British province were deprived of water for days.
Laurence MacKenzie, chief executive of state-owned Northern Ireland Water (NIW), said he was quitting after freezing weather followed by a rapid thaw damaged pipes and sparked the crisis in the run-up to Christmas.
At its peak, 40,000 people in the province were without supplies and there were long queues in the streets to collect fresh water at distribution centres.
MacKenzie, who had come in for fierce criticism over his handling of the crisis, said it was entirely his own decision to step aside.
"I readily accept and recognise that there were aspects of the way in which we handled the situation that could have been better," he said.
"In particular, our ability to communicate with our customers and let them know the reasons for -- and the times at which -- they were going to be taken off supply."
His resignation, announced after an NIW board meeting, is effective from Friday.
The water system is up and running again following the breakdown, after engineers worked round the clock for days to repair it.
But the collapse of the vital infrastructure was acutely embarrassing for Northern Ireland, and led to Scotland coming to the province`s aid by shipping in lorry loads of bottled water.
NIW was heavily criticised for failing to handle the deluge of calls that came from the public at the height of the crisis, with the province`s First Minister Peter Robinson describing the water company`s response as "shambolic”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday