Norway closes embassies in Saudi Arabia, Jordan to public
Oslo: Norway has closed its embassies in Saudi Arabia and Jordan to the public due to threats of attacks by al Qaeda, the foreign ministry said on Monday.
The Scandinavian country has also raised the security level at other diplomatic missions in the Middle East and North Africa, as well as sensitive locations such as Nairobi, the ministry said.
"We have limited public access by closing down, for example, the consular sections (in Riyadh and Amman)," ministry spokesman Frode Andersen told AFP.
"The embassies are not closed down. We keep working, and communicate by telephone and mail."
The United States has closed down 19 diplomatic missions in the Middle East and Africa until August 10. France, Britain and Germany have also temporarily closed their embassies in Yemen.
This came after the United States issued a worldwide alert late last week warning of plans by al Qaeda to launch an attack in the Middle East or Africa in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?