Norway: Man detained for raising Syria money
Oslo: A man has been detained in Oslo on suspicion of raising money for Syria which could have gone to a terrorist group, Norway`s domestic intelligence service said on Saturday.
Martin Bernsen, a spokesman for the police security service, said the man was detained yesterday and released, though he remains a suspect and faces a preliminary charge of financially supporting a terror organisation. Preliminary charges are a step short of formal charges and a conviction on that charge carries a maximum prison sentence of six years.
"We are worried that the money that is gathered and send to Syria could end in the hands of al Qaeda or al Qaeda- related persons," Bernsen said. "Every year, large sums leave the country. We are talking about millions."
Police did not identify the suspect, but Norwegian broadcaster TV2 said he was Farid Bendriss of the Al Furqan Relief group.
The organisation said on Facebook that police seized 300,000 kroner (USD 50,730) yesterday. Bernsen declined to comment.
Al Furqan said the money was to be sent to Syrian refugees next week. It described itself as a humanitarian organisation "aimed at helping people in need. All collected funds go entirely to the purpose."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional