Norway: Man detained for raising Syria money
Oslo: A man has been detained in Oslo on suspicion of raising money for Syria which could have gone to a terrorist group, Norway`s domestic intelligence service said on Saturday.
Martin Bernsen, a spokesman for the police security service, said the man was detained yesterday and released, though he remains a suspect and faces a preliminary charge of financially supporting a terror organisation. Preliminary charges are a step short of formal charges and a conviction on that charge carries a maximum prison sentence of six years.
"We are worried that the money that is gathered and send to Syria could end in the hands of al Qaeda or al Qaeda- related persons," Bernsen said. "Every year, large sums leave the country. We are talking about millions."
Police did not identify the suspect, but Norwegian broadcaster TV2 said he was Farid Bendriss of the Al Furqan Relief group.
The organisation said on Facebook that police seized 300,000 kroner (USD 50,730) yesterday. Bernsen declined to comment.
Al Furqan said the money was to be sent to Syrian refugees next week. It described itself as a humanitarian organisation "aimed at helping people in need. All collected funds go entirely to the purpose."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened