Norway rejects US request to destroy Syria`s chemical weapons over technical reasons
Washington: The Norwegian government has rejected a United States request to receive Syria`s chemical weapons for destruction, citing technical and legal reasons.
Norwegian Foreign Minister Borge Brende said taking in consideration the time constraint and the country`s inability of fully burning the organic waste without a hydrolysis facility, America has concluded that the Nordic nation should not be responsible for destroying Syria`s chemical weapons, CSMonitor reports.
According to the UN Security Council resolution agreed to in September, the toxic chemicals are to be transported out of Syria by January 2014 and destroyed by June.
Brende said Norway will, however, continue to work with the US to provide economic assistance and humanitarian support to victims of the Syrian conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?