Norway suspect raised alarm bells in March: Police

The man behind last week`s twin attacks that killed 76 people was investigated in March for a purchase of chemicals.

Oslo: The man behind last week`s twin
attacks that killed 76 people was investigated in March for a
purchase of chemicals, but the probe was dropped, Norwegian
police said on Tuesday.

Anders Behring Breivik came to police`s attention
because of a purchase from a Polish business selling
chemicals, but the incident was judged too insignificant to
warrant a follow-up, Norwegian Police Security Service (PST)
head Janne Kristiansen said.

"In March, we received ... a list of 50-60 names and
his name was on it because he spent 120 krone (15 euros or 22
dollars) at a business in Poland," the head of the PST, which
reports directly to the ministry of justice, told Norway`s
public television channel NRK.
"This business was under surveillance because it was
selling other chemical products."

The PST receives "a lot of intelligence" on "a lot of
people," she said.

"We don`t have the right to put people`s names on the
register just like that but we checked if we had anything on
these people, if any of them could be connected to any other
intelligence we had but we had absolutely nothing on Behring
Breivik."
"He lived a life that was incredibly respectful of the
law," she said.

Poland`s security service said earlier Monday that
Behring Breivik had ordered chemicals from a Polish firm whose
owner they have questioned since the massacre at Norway`s
request. No arrests were made at the firm.

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close