‘Norwegian mass killer Breivik becoming cult figure`
Sydney: Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a shooting and bombing rampage in Oslo in 2011, is becoming a cult figure, a lawyer has said.
Lawyer Geir Lippestad, who defended the right-wing extremist, said the best weapon against Breivik`s anti-Islamic and anti-multicultural stance is open debate.
Lippestad wrote in his memoirs published on Thursday that he keeps ‘receiving messages from around the world that Breivik is increasingly a cult figure in some circles,’ News.com.au reports.
Images from Russia, the United States, Britain, Germany, Greece, Sweden and other countries where he has supporters, show Breivik is undoubtedly becoming a model who can influence other people to have thoughts, ideas and plans that could end up transforming young people into terrorists and not into law-abiding citizens, he added.
Breivik is serving a 21-year jail sentence for killing dozens of people in Norway in twin attacks on July 22, 2011.
In his earlier court hearings, Breivik had described as "cruel but necessary".
Breivik had laid out his Islamophobic and anti-multicultural ideology in a rambling 1500-page online manifesto posted online shortly before the attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days