Norwegian Nazis asked Hitler for Russian land: WWII docs
Oslo: Nazi-occupied Norway`s puppet government repeatedly asked Berlin to establish Norwegian territories in the Soviet Union during World War II, documents released in Oslo on Thursday revealed.
The documents, posted on the National Archive Service`s website, showed that the fascist National Unification party that ruled Norway for most of the 1940-45 occupation had requested several different Soviet territories.
The archives posted 281 documents showing the Norwegian "lebensraum" ambitions, out of a total of around 5,000 World War II documents published in connection with the 70th anniversary of the Nazi invasion of Norway on April 09.
National Unification "launched a vigorous campaign to get German authorities to accept the idea of a territory under Norwegian administration in what was expected to be a quickly defeated Soviet Union," the archives website says in an introduction to the newly released records.
Not long after the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941, the collaboration government under Vidkun Quisling established a "Russian office" and an institute called "Austrveg" in Oslo to promote the idea, the documents showed.
The Norwegian fascists had first requested a protectorate in the northwestern Murmansk area, but faced with German resistance moved their sights to areas in today`s Ukraine and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Niti Aayog to hold consultations today with states on 15-year vision document
- Coal scam: Rathi Steel, 3 officials convicted; quantum of sentence to be declared today
- Alarm bells for Nawaz Sharif! Huge protests rock PoK, locals allege ISI rigged polls in favour of PML(N)
- Chill guys! There's still time for Deepika Padukone, Fawad Khan film
- Rio Olympics 2016: Narsingh Yadav's fate hangs in balance as NADA takes final decision today