Norwegian Nazis asked Hitler for Russian land: WWII docs
Oslo: Nazi-occupied Norway`s puppet government repeatedly asked Berlin to establish Norwegian territories in the Soviet Union during World War II, documents released in Oslo on Thursday revealed.
The documents, posted on the National Archive Service`s website, showed that the fascist National Unification party that ruled Norway for most of the 1940-45 occupation had requested several different Soviet territories.
The archives posted 281 documents showing the Norwegian "lebensraum" ambitions, out of a total of around 5,000 World War II documents published in connection with the 70th anniversary of the Nazi invasion of Norway on April 09.
National Unification "launched a vigorous campaign to get German authorities to accept the idea of a territory under Norwegian administration in what was expected to be a quickly defeated Soviet Union," the archives website says in an introduction to the newly released records.
Not long after the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941, the collaboration government under Vidkun Quisling established a "Russian office" and an institute called "Austrveg" in Oslo to promote the idea, the documents showed.
The Norwegian fascists had first requested a protectorate in the northwestern Murmansk area, but faced with German resistance moved their sights to areas in today`s Ukraine and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan