Now 1,800 Canadians to lose citizenship
Toronto: Canada is stripping 1,800 people of their citizenship, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney announced here on Wednesday, in a first step of this scale by any western nation.
Canadian citizenship will be revoked from these 1,800 people for obtaining it fraudulently, he stated. The minister said the government will be `revoking their citizenship because Canadian citizenship is not for sale.``
Calling it `the first tranche`` of revocation, the minister said more people could be deprived of their Canadian citizenship as the authorities widen their net to catch those who acquired it fraudulently.
But the minister said the revocation process could be long-drawn out as most of those who acquired it with the help of local crook consultants don`t live in Canada.
“Most of these people, we believe, have never really lived in Canada and are still overseas. We frankly have got them dead to rights with the proof that we have, and I don`t think a lot of these people want to go through a long, protracted public court battle where it`s clear they fraudulently obtained our citizenship,`` Kenney said.
As the debate over the immigration issue hots up, the government is holding nationwide consultations to ascertain whether current levels of admitting newcomers should be maintained.
Canada admits more than 250,000 new people each - per capita more than any other nation in the world. But because of its lax laws, thousands others enter the country illegally each year.
Further, a large of number of people acquire Canadian citizenship only to return to their country of origin. Called `citizens of convenience’, they don`t pay taxes here but come only to claim free medical and social benefits.
“For those who simply touch down and try to get a Canadian passport as a ... passport of convenience, who don`t pay our taxes but who do consume our social benefits, I think that`s dishonourable,`` according to the immigration minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams