Now, anti-burqa bill tabled in Italian Parliament
Rome: Italy`s anti-immigrant North League party has introduced a bill in the lower house of Parliament seeking a ban on burqa, the full body veil worn by Muslim women.
According to the legislation, wearing burqa will be punishable by a year in prison, fines of EUR 150 to 300 for the wearer and EUR 30,000 for anyone forcing a woman to don the face-covering Islamic garment.
Anyone coercing a minor or a disabled woman into wearing a burqa will be eligible for a EUR 60,000 fine.
If a woman is wearing the burqa of her own volition, the EUR 150-300 fine can be reduced, if she agrees to do community service aimed at better integrating Muslim immigrants.
"This bill represents a step forward because we are not just facing a problem of public order, but - we believe - an offence to women`s dignity", said Carolina Lussana, Northern League Member of Parliament, handing over the copy of the bill to reporters.
"It is also a violation of the principle of equality between men and women enshrined in our Constitution," she said.
The bill is likely to draw criticism from many Muslim immigrants, but 73 percent of Italians believe the burqa should not be allowed to be worn in public places, according to a recent poll by Panel Data.
The right-leaning Northern League`s bill came just days after France`s upper house of Parliament, the Senate, voted by 246 to one to ban the burqa.
Under the new French law, women will be fined or jailed for covering their faces in public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31