Now get confirmed admission for Oz student visa
New Delhi: Getting an Australian student`s visa will now require a confirmed admission in a course there, the Australian high commission here said Wednesday.
Changes in students` visa laws in Australia now compel those applying for it to produce a proof of enrolment in a course in Australia first. A statement from the high commission said the change has been made effective from Saturday.
From Nov 5, student visa applicants will need to "include a confirmation of enrolment (COE), issued by their intended education provider, as part of their student visa applications", the statement said.
"This will improve processing time as students will no longer need to wait for a Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) letter to be issued by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) before arranging their COE," it added.
Australian High Commissioner to India Peter Varghese welcomed the changes in students` visa regime made by his country`s government.
Stating that he "strongly supports" the changes, he said it would make Australia a more attractive destination for "high quality" students.
"Australia is a quality education destination and these changes will strengthen that reputation. We look forward to welcoming high quality students from India. Australia is a great place to study and I encourage all Indian students to consider the many benefits of studying in Australia," Varghese said.
A new `genuine temporary entrant` (GTE) criterion was also implemented Nov 5.
"This criterion will assist Australia to ensure that students are intending a temporary stay only for the purposes of their education. GTE will be assessed by interview in most cases and will consider the student`s background and the value of the course to their future," the statement said.
Changes are also being made to reduce the financial requirements for Assessment Level 3 and 4 students.
"A reduction in the period of funds to be shown upfront with a visa application should make obtaining a student visa to Australia more competitive with other popular study destinations," the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH