Now Iran ready for direct talks, will US respond?
Tehran: The United States is yet to react after Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said that he is willing to have direct talks with US on the condition that the West stops pressuring his country.
His statements on Sunday to a rally marking the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic revolution come after Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has final say on all key decisions, effectively closed the door on direct talks with Washington as long as sanctions and other pressures remain.
"You pull away the gun from the face of the Iranian nation, I myself will enter the talks with you," Ahmadinejad said. The declaration appears part of Ahmadinejad`s attempt to retain the appearance of political relevance going into his final months of office.
The West suspects Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons and has imposed sanctions. Iran denies the charge.
(With PTI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda